What to Study So You Can Immigrate to the United States

One of the greatest strengths of the United States is quality education, known to be the home to the world’s top universities globally ranked by many prestigious organizations. So choosing America as your place to continue or start your education is a highly commendable decision.

However, if you’re not an American citizen from outside America, studying in this country can be a challenge, not because of insufficient qualifications against native-born Americans. Instead, immigration in the U.S. is known to be stringent in its application procedure due to high demands for highly qualified professions.

Here comes the great news! Many universities and colleges in the U.S. today are known to be the best in accepting international students amongst all educational institutions globally. With that being said, continuing your desire to study abroad is easy, especially if an immigration lawyer accompanies you. Let’s try to take a glimpse of what to study and prepare so you can immigrate to the United States.

What to Expect?

A student aspiring to study in America needs to put together a well-organized plan. Currently, common programs that enthuse students are in the field of science and technology or medicine. Suppose you go to the right college and university with the right program of choice in the U.S. In that case, there is a significant probability of finding graduate employment that keeps you in the country eventually. Besides, immigration is always the long-term goal of everyone.

In choosing the program to enter in the United States, no one can decide but yourself. Since selecting what program to study is merely based on your goal, skills, and interest.

You should also know the best colleges or universities there are for international students. This is a vital step in your journey as different institutions cater to international students differently and integrate their students into the American job market in specific ways.

Consult your immigration lawyer for more detailed guidance right for you.

Paths to consider.

There are four paths that many student immigrants take to study in the U.S.:

  1. F Student Visa

This is for studying at an accredited U.S. college or university or for learning English at an English language institute.

  1. J Exchange Visa

This is for participation in exchange programs, including high school and university studies.

  1. M Student Visa

This is for non-academic or vocational study or training in the United States.

Before you can apply for any of these visa applications, you must first apply and be accepted by a U.S. institution of higher education. It must be certified by the Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). To learn more about this, consult an immigration lawyer.


In choosing what to study so you can immigrate to the United States, the best way is to advance promptly by selecting an ideal profession that is trendy and that fits your passion and capabilities. Seek a knowledgeable immigration lawyer to plot your aspirations accordingly.

Krissy Georgiadis

Written by Krissy Georgiadis

Law graduate and wanderlust sufferer. I like rum and beaches.